Walton-Morse radios are some of the rarest and hardest to find of the early battery radios, the company was not around long and there is little information available on it .
The model T uses two 99 type tubes and three 01A tubes, a bit unusual for a battery radio in the mid 1920s.
This Walton-Morse was purchased and restored by this museum to be donated to the Castle Museum in Saginaw Michigan to be a part of a long term exhibit recognizing the history of manufacturing in Saginaw. I'll update you when the exhibit is completed and add some photos of this model T in its new home.
This one tube receiver is very rare, Kilbourne & Clark were not in the consumer radio business very long.
Kilbourne & Clark Manufacturing Company was located at 101 Spokane Street in Seattle, Washington. It opened in 1907 making generators and rotary converters for United Wireless Company.
The Kilbourne & Clark receiver used a one amp UV-200 tube as a detector.
Only seventeen model 8 radios were manufactured. The five tube island consisted of two RF tubes, one detector tube and two amplifier tubes. The same unit was used in manufacturing the model 5 radio.
The model 8 was the last fixed tune radio frequency set made by
Atwater Kent. It never went to full production due to its lack of selectivity compared to Atwater Kents new three dial sets. The model 8 (4325) uses five 01A type tubes. Using one 00A type tube in the detector tube socket is also possible.
Apparently this radio was from Mike Kreuser's collection, a well known Atwater Kent collector, he had it for over forty years and was his favorite. It was the last radio he parted with from his impressive collection.
This two - tube receiver is from the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum in London, England.
This model radio will look very familiar to fans of the PBS series "Downton Abbey". It was featured in the second episode of season five of the series. In that episode Lord Grantham (talking about radio) exclaims, " Its a fad, it will never last!".
The radio was restored by the famous British radio collector/restorer Gerry Wells, the founder of the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum.
The Jewett Radio & Phonograph Company was founded in 1920. In 1925 it brought out the Jewett Radio. In that same year, Jewett bought the WCX radio station in Detroit and changed its call letters to WJR, the JR standing for Jewett Radio. The 50,000 watt station is still on the air today.
The Jewett radio used five 01A type tubes.
The Jewett radio has a unique style of tuning dials, the outer dial for coarse adjustment and an inner dial for fine adjustment.
George A. Pearson, an automobile parts manufacturer, founded Electrical Research Laboratories (ERLA) in 1921. He started out with twenty employees in a five thousand square foot building.
By 1923, George has closed his auto parts business and moved ERLA into a fifty thousand square foot building. That same year ERLA began selling its "Reflex Circuit" radios.
In 1925 ERLA announced a merger with furniture maker Caswell-Runyan, located in Indiana. Caswell later pulled out of the merger.
In 1928 hard times forced George Pearson to sell out to Greene-Brown, a maker of B battery eliminators. In 1934 ERLA started operating under the name of "Sentinel".
Sentinel's assets were sold to Magnavox in 1948.
The Aeriola Jr type R.E. was manufactured by the Westinghouse division of RCA at Westinghouse's historic East Springfield Works in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Six different sets of instructions were glued to the inside of the lid during the radio's eighteen month production run. The crystal receiver originally sold for $25.00.
The Aeriola Jr had two antenna connection posts. One was for frequencies below 350 meters and one for frequencies between 350-500 meters.
Radio Specialty Shop has left a very small footprint in history, little is known about the company other than where it was located in Oakland, California.
The Type 221 RF Amplifier was built to be used with the Colin B. Kennedy Type 110 or Type 220 receivers. Here it is matched up with the model 220 receiver and model 525 amplifier. Note the matching cabinet.
The Type 221 was designed to be used with two type 01 tubes, but performs far better with later 01A tubes. If you have more information regarding this item , the manufacturer, or the existence of another example, please contact the museum. It would be nice to know more about this old timer's background.
Copyright © 2022 Roaring Twenties Antique Radio Museum - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy